Tuesday 11 October 2011

Why I will never be a true Malawian

- I flinch whenever anything moves. Even my hair
- I put on mosquito repellent every day
- I don't go to church on Sunday
- I only drink bottled water
- I can't walk around comfortably without holding onto my bag
- I'm too scared to cycle around
- I always try to be on time. When I commit to something, I try my best to accomplish it
- I still hate spiders (last week I was strongly advised to check for spiders before putting on my shoes. Since that day I've only worn flip flops)
- I'm a bit of an organised freak
- I love fish (it's rare to have it here)
- I check the bath over and over again before actually getting in it
- I can't eat nsima on a regular basis
- I don't believe in witchcraft
- I believe in gay rights
- I try to complete tasks at an average speed. Sometimes even faster than normal
- I respect pedestrians when driving. I try to avoid injuring them
- I still find it weird when I walk in the streets and people shout out "Nzungo! Nzungo!" That means "white person"
- I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have electricity from 6m-5am. Not even a light to read a book
- I don't hold hands with my friends when talking to them

The list is probably endless, these are just some of the things I thought of.

5 comments:

  1. Nãopercebo nada de inglês mas gostomuito deti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha Avó, o teu comentário fez-me rir. Não sabes o quão contente que fico por saber que até já sabes comentar no meu blog (para quem não sabe, a minha avó, com mais de 80 anos, começou agora a usar a internet).
    Bem vinda ao mundo da tecnologia! Agora só falta o skype para falarmos...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can never be too cautious when looking for bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ainda bem que nunca serás uma verdadeira Malawian girl. O problema seria se te adaptasses mesmo: Imagina a poupança que teríamos de fazer todos os anos para te ver....
    Hã, gostaste do comment da Avó? Só falta agora fazer downloads para o Ipod!
    Beijocas Grandes
    Titi

    ReplyDelete