Sunday 2 October 2011

Lake of Stars

Those who know me are fully aware that I am very organised. I make lists, I plan my days and I like stuff to go as scheduled. That's exactly what didn't happen this weekend.

I woke up at 7am on Saturday and decided that it would be a good idea to go and visit Lake Malawi (about a 3 hour drive up North). It was one of my best ideas ever. Lake Malawi is like a secret little gem in Africa, one of the most beautiful things that I have ever experienced in my (short-lived) life. Peaceful, calm, stunning. Believe it or not, it made me think "regardless of how the next 6 months go, this makes it all worth it."

As the evening approached I had my second spontaneous moment: I went to the Lake of Stars. You don't know what that is? WHAT?! Over on this side of Africa, you would be a weirdo and an outcast to society. Lake of Stars is THE Musical Festival of the year- Sudoeste, Reading, Super Bock Super Rock and Glastonbury all put together in one. People actually fly into Malawi to come to see this, and that's a big deal, because that never happens here. Two of the big bands this year included The Foals (English band), and Freshlygrounded (South African band, played Waka Waka with Shakira). The stages were set up on the 'beach' next to the lake, you get to mingle with foreigners and locals, you dance to anything and everything that is playing, you meet more people than you can possibly remember, you feel privileged to be there. My night ended when the following day started, with the company of the Malawian sunrise.

3 comments:

  1. Começo a sentir a falta quando não há posts novos. É um enorme Prazer "ler-te"! A tua prosa estruturada, os teus sentimentos "expostos". Quase sentimos o cheiro do Malawi!
    Grandes beijos
    Titi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. :) I can't wait to see you come out the other end.

    Love, your finnish friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uma delicia de descrição e tão bem escrito my little khanda...lindo nyanja. é um verdadeiro prazer ler estes teus "posts".

    ReplyDelete