Friday 9 March 2012

I'm sorry I didn't see your true beauty, Maputo

It's so interesting how your view on things change over time. Going back to my first posts ever, I didn't really paint Maputo as a beautiful place. In all fairness I had just arrived from Europe where the grass is green, the birds sing and the butterflies smile... A few days ago my friends in Malawi would say "You're so lucky you're staying some days in Maputo before heading home! Such a great place!" I raised an eyebrow everytime and thought, "That's not really how I remember it."

Nevertheless, I am fascinated at how my perspective of this city has changed after living 6 months in Blantyre. When I landed in Maputo yesterday I couldn't believe how many pavements there were. And street lights that worked! The next day we went to a shopping centre (a shopping centre!) and I couldn't believe how clean and civilised it was. The shelves at the supermarket fully stocked, and so much cheese! Oh how I miss cheese.

It's been good spending some days here. But I think I'm ready to go home now. If I can't be in Malawi I'd rather just be sent home to mum and dad.

1 comment:

  1. YES, come home, we really miss you!! Now it's time to say goodbye to Africa, just for the time being...nunca se sabe o dia de manhã, pois a vida reserva-te muitos momentos , muitas supresas!! Tens tanto ainda para viver...

    ReplyDelete