Wednesday 7 December 2011

Grand Theft Auto.

So I had the interesting experience of being able to DRIVE in Malawi. I was quite nervous when I entered the car, for I have been a passenger for the past months and have seen how dodgy things can get on the roads.

It was initially comforting to realise how wide the lanes are in Blantyre. This was a short lived feeling, for I soon realised they are wide in order to accommodate the cars, the parked cars, the crazy minibuses, the insanely dangerous overtaking that goes on, the goats, the dogs, the cats, the pedestrians, the queues for fuel and the men selling samoosas.

It was great fun driving around in such a chaotic city, I felt like I was in a video game. Reaching a crossing with traffic lights that don’t work really tests your awareness and your ability to decide whether or not accelerating will put your life in danger. Every time you stop the car in traffic you get offered enough fruit in 2 minutes to be able to make a fruit salad then and there.

I miss driving. Maybe Santa will get me my own car for me to drive around in Malawi.

No comments:

Post a Comment