Saturday 5 November 2011

The best things come in small packages.

For those who are used to the luxurious life of having a post man come to their door to give out letters, I shall proceed to explaining how it works in Malawi. Since streets have no names and houses have no numbers, each household is designated a P.O. Box, a numbered hole on a wall in the post office. A trip to the post office is a rare thing to do, but that's where I found myself yesterday.

I had my first parcel waiting for me. A beautifully filled envelope with letters, postcards and photographs put together by a dear friend from London. I read everything over and over again with a tear in the corner of my eye and spread the photos out on the floor. Thank you everyone who wrote in the postcard and thank you especially H.B. for providing me with such a special moment.

6 comments:

  1. BUT WHERE IS MINE? i think the postman stole it. i'm not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Por isso é que tu és small package. You´re a "best thing". Minha querida não respondo a todos mas lemos todos "em família", Muitas saudades agora dos 4 T´s (O 5º agora só por skype...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Jess, I'm holding onto the hope that it will arrive. I'm sure it's on its way here! You just happen to have sent it from further away.

    4 T's- I miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Estes correio s fazem-me lembrar S. Tomé.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um dia vai chegar uma carta minha...e muitos beijinhos junto com ela. miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Can't wait for it my dear mother.

    ReplyDelete